Building a Custom Home: Choosing a Builder
When building a custom home, it’s important to have the right partnership with your builder. The following questions will help you better understand if a builder is the right fit for your project and your personality.
- How many years have you been in business? What is your experience?
- What types of projects do you typically build (area, style, size)?
- How do you compare to other builders?
- What are key benefits of the homes that you build?
- Can I speak to your previous clients for references?
- Do you have a current license and general liability insurance?
- Can you build homes from original architectural plans that I supply?
- Who will oversee the construction of my home? Who should I contact with questions?
- How will they communicate with me throughout this process? How often?
- How often (and when) will I have access to the home during the building process?
- How and when can I make changes or upgrades during construction?
- What is the inspection process like throughout construction?
- What is the payment process like?
- What type of warranty do you offer?
- How long will my home take to complete? At what point will we know our move in date?